Monday 5 July 2010

The Nature of Love


It is of the nature of love that it is self-diffusive. It surpasses the self so that it can affirm the self. We learn from Richard of St. Victor that charity is not static, self-containing, but it reaches out in an embrace. The human person exists not in isolation, but it is of his nature to communicate. This communication is not a mere verbalisation but the sigh of the heart. All of our hopes rest in Him, our origin and our end. Any love which does not includes Him as its source is disordered and blurs the truth of the human person. All men are drawn together by Him, the Good. We all can say truly that He is our beloved.


I will work on this line of thought when I return from holiday on the 23rd of this month. During my recitation of the Rosary today, I came across this reflection on the 2nd Joyful Mystery, the Visitation, and by the time I got home, I had forgotten the fruits of it. So what I have written is quite imperfect at the moment, but I will do some further meditation later.

God be with you all,

No comments:

Post a Comment